2015 GPAS Global Surgery Conference
Since 2010, GPAS and partners have hosted four conferences to help promote harmonization among global surgery efforts in Uganda. In September of 2015, the fourth such conference was hosted in Entebbe, Uganda to bring together key stakeholders and to strategize how to increase access to high-quality surgical services in Uganda.
A Post-Conference Meeting on Paediatric Surgical Care in Uganda also took place Monday, September 28, 2015.
Below are some of the posters, presentations and abstracts (coming soon in The East African Journal of Surgery).
Read more about GPAS.
Over 60 abstracts were accepted for poster presentation during the conference. A select number of abstracts will be published in the East African Journal of Surgery. This special issue will be published soon. Posters will be available online shortly.
Stakeholders meeting 28th September 2015
Session I: Presentations from groups providing surgical care to children
Moderator: Monica Langer
1) Mulago pediatric surgery: John Sekabira – Download .pps
2) Archie Foundation Uganda Program: David Cunningham
3) University of British Columbia – Uganda Training Partnership: Geoff Blair – Download .pps
4) Surgery for Children – Lacor Partnership: Sergio D’Agostino / Martin Ogwang – Download .pps
5) Mbarara University: Martin Situma – Download .pps
6) Pediatric anesthesia: Janat Tumukunde / Richard Kabuye
7) Pediatric urology: Dan Namuguzi/ Rosemary Nassanga
7) Nutrition Support in the Paediatric Patient: Mariama Mustapha – Download .pps
Session II: Subspecialty pediatric surgery presentations
Moderator: Nasser Kakembo
1) Mulago/ Uganda Heart Institute Cardiac Surgery: Michael Oketcho / Tom Mwambu
2) CURE Mbale pediatric neurosurgery: Peter Ssenyonga – Download .pps
3) CORSU plastics and reconstructive surgery: George Galiwango – Download .pps
4) Pediatric orthopedics: Norgrove Penny – Download .pps
5) Pediatric ENT: Doreen Nakku / Brian Westerberg/ Emily Kakande – Download .pps
6) Mulago Burns/plastics: Robert Ssentongo
7) Pediatric Surgery at Soroti Regional Hospital: Margaret Ajiko – Download .pps
8) Pediatric Anaesthesia: – Download .pps
9) Iatrogenic injection injury: – Coleen Sabatini et al – Download .pps
Session III: Presentations from groups covering research, policy, and organization of services for pediatric surgical conditions
Moderator: Phyllis Kisa
1) Ministry of Health
2) World Health Organization: Olive Sentubwe
3) Pediatric trauma care
4) Pediatric injury research: Olive Kobusingye – Download .pps
5) Congenital anomaly research: Linda Barlow – Download .pps
6) Care of children with cancer: Joyce Kambugu / Dr. Geriga – Download .pps
7) Uganda Pediatric Association: Victor Musiima / Elizabeth Kiboneka
8) Neonatology: Jolly Nankunda – Download .pps
9) Baby Watoto: Racheal Kabala – Download .pps
10) Pediatric orthopedics research: injection injury in children: Norgrove Penny – Download .pps
“Pediatric Surgery in Uganda: Past, Present, and Future” – Dr. Doreen Birabwa-Male